Jim Amidon — Since the day our office got the new Canon camera lens I’ve used to shoot sports this fall, I couldn’t wait for the colors of autumn to arrive. Finally, I thought, I’d have a lens and camera that could do justice to the gorgeous palette of colors nature gives us on the Wabash campus.

Nope, not even close. Even the super-duper lens that has transformed our sports photography isn’t capable of what the naked eye can capture. The subtle shades of yellows, golds, greens, pinks, and reds from a single maple tree don’t boast the same delicacy on screen as they do in my mind.

Gazing out my Kane House window I marvel at the maple tree that stands along Wabash Avenue; those brilliant colors standing out against a deeply blue sky. My camera turns the sky whitish-grey and blows out the Federalist backdrop of the Arnold House. My eyes, though, see the scene clearly; I can pick out four or five shades of red on a single leaf.

We photographers — oh how we love our toys. For us, the camera and lens can preserve moments forever; can capture the momentum-turning play in a football game or the instant a student makes an intellectual discovery in class. But our cameras and lenses — no matter how intricate or expensive — are not capable of paying tribute to the gorgeous hues of fall at Wabash College.

See the futile attempts at capturing nature’s beauty by Steve Charles and Jim Amidon by clicking here.