Jim Amidon — Okay, I can side with some members of the faculty who say Homecoming is a giant sleep-depriving waste of time and leads to an unproductive week in the classroom.

But it is a lot of fun — for the freshmen and for those of us who wish we were 18 again.

Chapel Sing, in its new format, worked well, I thought. None of the kids were really screaming the song (well, maybe Sigma Chi and Phi Delt), and the Sphinx Club did a good job of evaluating those freshmen who really knew the words. Independents were a part of the fun again this year. The students I talked to after it was all over said it was "a blast," the "most fun I’ve had at Wabash so far," and a tremendous "bonding experience." And best of all, the guys I talked to Thursday afternoon still had their voices!

Friday morning as Howard Hewitt and I were planning out coverage of the weekend, we noticed a Beta freshman crashed on top of his house’s Homecoming decoration. Not exactly sure why they feel the need to guard them all night, or why the guy was nestled so deeply in a sleeping bag — it was, after all, hot and humid. But it made for a great picture.

I love Homecoming. Leaves are beginning to change; the bright red banners line the streets; the stadium will be packed on Saturday; and sure, for one week this fall, the Rhynies are exhausted… but having the time of their lives.