What is special (and awesome)

So, I’ve had a pretty good break, all things considered. I got to see my parents again, get some sleep, catch up on my writing, got to hang out with my girlfriend, and I saw The LEGO Movie (everything is awesome!). I got a chance to unwind again, and with the pressures of Wabash I think that is an important thing.

And as I wrap up this week, I feel that times like this are really special, which is what I’ll be addressing in this blog.

Over the past week, I have encountered many things that I or someone else might consider special. I think it’s less dependent on what the thing is than how you react to it; some silly putty or a slice of pizza might not seem all that special at first, but when they’re a gift from your parents or from your favorite pizza joint then it becomes special. I went to an event over the break that I might not have been that enthusiastic about, but to those that the event was focused on it was something worth remembering, and that’s what matters in the end. We can’t just go around as if everything is just the same old thing over and over again, because that just makes for a boring life. Everything is awesome, and we should take advantage of every moment we get to make life really really special.

… What? I liked The LEGO Movie

Enjoy the time you spend with your loved ones. Go out and do something you enjoy doing, and maybe try something you might love doing. Even if you screw up, if you have a good time and build good memories then it might become even more meaningful than if you succeeded. It doesn’t have to be anything big or extravagant; it can just be making your special someone some tea when they come home, or buying them a nice little something to remind them how much you love them.

Or we could build a spaceship. That’s pretty special.

Whatever you do, put your heart into it and make it special and awesome.