Eat RIGHT!!!! (freshman 15)

We all hear the horror stories about gaining at least 15 pounds the first year of college or first semester, for those unlucky few. Though it might be true, it isn’t entiirely and may be misleading.

Thanks to the friends I have made staying active and hitting the gym isn’t that hard. Along with staying active it is also important to watch your diet. I’m sure thats what a docotor would say, isn’t it ? In any case, one of the first lessons you learn when you get to college is that you no longer have a pantry or refrigerator like you did at home. That is why I believe Freshman 15 is misleading. Even if you do have a fridge or some snacks, it will not compare to being home and having the leisure of waking up at 3 in the morning for a PB and J sandwhich. Also, you might not like the food your fraternity or cafeteria serves, so then you turn to cereal and ice cream more than once a day.

Not a great idea.

You should, not forcfully eat the food, but try something new if you have never had it or maybe a salad. Towards the end of my first semster I stopped serving myself dry salads with every meal and it was probably due to finals. That is important too, do not eat due to stress because college is high stress and that would turn into a high calorie count.

Back to not having the same freedom of being at home, you must be even more cautious when you are back home during break. Your parents and grandparents are going to be waiting at the front door with cakes, cookies, frosted fritters, pies, pudding and ice cream. Your job is to not be a gluttonous pig and clog your arteries. I might be a pot calling the kettle black but that should be all the reason to take the advice. I actually lost about 5 pounds while at school and have probably gained that, and then some, while at home.

Once again, stay active, eat some dry greens (meaning no dressing), be cautious and extra cautious at home. Thanks for reading y’all.