Dorkapalooza!!!

These are my Space Marines. And they shall know no fear

Have I mentioned how much I love Dork Club? I probably have, but let me say it again: I love Dork Club.

With all the stress of Finals building up, Dork Club is the one place where I can get away from everything and just chill out for a few hours. I don’t have to worry about tests, or essays, or anything; just whether or not staying in Tokyo is a good thing or whether or not those ZOMBIES will be able to reach me next turn. It’s great for relieving my stress, and I don’t think I’d have made it this far without Dork Club.

Why am I talking about this now instead of on Wednesday? Well, because today was Dorkapalooza, that’s why!

Dorkapalooza is kind of like the ThanksGaming event I talked about a few weeks ago, only a bit bigger. For one, more people showed up, and there were dozens of games being played. I showed up a little early to help get some things set  up, but once more people arrived we were ready to play.

I started the day off with a game of King of Tokyo (mentioned in my ThanksGaming blog). I was playing Cyber Bunny again, only this time the dice were not on my side (read: I died). After finding out I was not king of Tokyo, I next played a round of Bang! I got to play as the sheriff this time around, and after accidentally shooting my deputy I managed to kill the renegade before being killed myself. So I lost there. No yay.

But that was followed by probably the main event of my day: Warhammer 40K. 1,500 points worth of my Wabash Space Marines against an equal number of Tau (aliens with anime influences and big guns). We set up on a large, desert-like map with a few buildings, rocks, and a crashed Tau gunship for cover.

As the game began, the Tau got off to a good start, shooting up some of my vanguard squads while remaining out of range of my normal fire. However, Space Marines are a bit hardier than Tau, so I was able to press up the board despite suffering casualties. Eventually, due to a few lucky rolls on my part, I managed to turn the tide by destroying both tanks the Tau player had deployed (the first was repeatedly damaged and wrecked by my Predator tank, the second suffered a severe case of missile to the face and exploded, taking a nearby Tau Stealth Suit with it). Combined with a sacrificial Terminator strike in the center of the Tau gunline, I was able to get the enemy into a position where my Captain and his retinue could charge into the enemy command squad.

Now, Tau and close combat mix like ducks and shotguns, so a bunch of Space Marines charging in spelled doom for the command squad. Although successful in wiping out the Tau commanders, the Captain’s retinue was shot down by other Tau soldiers. The Captain retreated while heavy weapons provided covering fire, and he began to pursue another element of the Tau army across the board. In the end, he did catch up to them but was unable to kill them, but by then the game ended and the Space Marines barely eked out a victory over the Tau. Yay me.

Once that was complete, I played another round of King of Tokyo (dying once more), before playing a game of Formula D racing. It’s exactly like it sounds; you control a little car and have to race the others around the track, controlling how fast you are going so you don’t crash or shred your tires. I got off to a bad start, and remained in last place until the end of the race. Having raced a little, I moved on to Zombiecide, choosing Machete again to continue my ZOMBIE killing spree. I think I did better than last time (as a whole, I think the group did better; we only lost one guy, after all), although I think the dice are out to get me and I did not kill nearly as many ZOMBIES as I wanted to.

I closed the night with a few rounds of Cards Against Humanity before going back home. Now, I feel relaxed and ready to take on Finals, which is a big improvement over my last blog post.

Yeah, I’m happy.

Have some pictures

The Space Marines and Tau prepare for battle

After an attack from my Terminators (in back), My command squad prepares for a charge