Debate

I’m going to start this blog by giving a short background on myself that I have not put out yet, and as my blog goes on you will understand why I’m doing this, so judge the blog by this first section. Also, don’t think this is a blog on religious justification or a means to put one point more forth than the other.

As a child I was baptized and raised a Roman Catholic by my mother’s side, while my father raised me with the insights of his Methodist beliefs. I spent almost every Sunday of my childhood with a trip to 9:30 AM Mass, and then followed by over two hours of a service at my father’s Methodist church. So you can say I’ve always been exposed to both sides of the spectrum on Christian debate/collisions. While a “Cradle” Catholic, I never felt my views of faith or religion were based solely one side and one teaching. From this, I believe that choices I’ve made for myself in political views, moral views, and everything else has been define by deep thought, questioning, and study; not by simple presumptions or one-sided ideas.

So why am I bringing this up?

Today during an easy five mile run at cross country practice with three of my fellow freshman, one a fellow Phi Gamma Delta pledge, a spirited (not heated) debate arouse on what the Catholic Church stands for versus the doctrine of protestant sects of Christianity. That is all I will say about that, and that is all that is needed to say…

…Because now is the main point of my blog:

Wabash is more than learning in the classroom! Wabash learning, exposure to debate, and others beliefs and ideals does not stop at what the professor tells one in the classroom. Of course hoping they will write it down in their daily notes. For the most part, students here do not go to class each day, take notes, go back to their dorm or fraternity, and sit down and watch ESPN. That happens to some extent, but for the most part Wabash is not a school where learning and growing starts and ends in the classroom. Wabash is a school where, once class is done, discussion among peers begins. It is safe to presume that there are no simple answers to religious questions, political debates, or international disputes over resources, clean water, and food. But, it is safe to presume that life at Wabash will make you think about things differently, from different view points you didn’t ever know of, and allow you to think critically, act responsibly, lead effectively, and live humanely.