The college said "Goodbye" to Professor of Math and Computer Science J.D. Phillips earlier this week.  The gift was a stocking cap – fitting in that JD leaves us to become the department chair at Northern Michigan University in Marquette Michigan.

JD has the touch with students – he loves teaching and students love taking his classes.  I got to know JD for other reasons (remember, I was a math major for an entire semester!)  JD is an outdoorsman and avid photographer – birds are his specialty.  He also has more than a passing interest in military aviation – that is my chosen specialty.  We’ve had some good discussions over the years about flying, photos, and similar things – NEVER about calculus!

I hate to see those end.

JD looks forward to the outdoor opportunities Northern Michigan will bring and the challenges the new position holds.  And of course, the opportunity to meet and impact many more students.

We wish the Phillips clan safe travels and all the best!  Oh…the Grunge wishes him good light and fast focus for each shot!